No Matter Why...Just Keep Running
And more links to posts which answer the question, "Why I Run". Stop by, check them out and enjoy!
If you were going to run 5 Ultras in 9 months, something tells me that you would get the question "Why Do You Run?" a lot. That is exactly what John Kynaston is doing right now. And to the question, "Why..." he responds in part this way: "When I started I honestly didn't know whether I could run for 95 miles and I wanted to see if it was possible for me. I assumed that once I'd done it that would be it and I'd try something else. But like so many before and after this race and ultra running gets under your skin and now I just can't imgaine not training for and running ultras."
I know that I bike to be a better runner, but this post caught my eye that there was a biker who ran to become a better biker. Check out Trek7k's post for a new perspective.
Judsdad took some time to reflect on why he runs, here is an excerpt: " I run for those who ask me why? I run for those who want to run with me and learn and do...one day I WILL RUN for those who can not! Next time you head out to find yourself or even lose yourself on the trail think about why you run and who you run for..."
A classic post from Cotuit Runner that is good enough to share again. Here is the short list of reasons he brainstormed while trying to get through a run.
- I like ice cream.
- I like beer, too.
- I don't want to be fat, and I'm not prepared to give up ice cream and beer
- I spent money on the winged foot tattoo on my left calf … it would look really silly if I wasn't a runner.
- What the hell am I going to do with six pairs of running shoes?
- All of (OK, both of) my friends run. I don't want to have to find new friends.
- I'm finally starting to get some definition in my calf muscles.
- The nice lady with the llaso apso would miss me on my 6am runs near Loop Beach (I think I see her every morning).
- The only stories I have are running-related. As boring as they are, they're the best I have.
- A Runners World subscription in a house w/out a runner is just sad, and I signed up for another 2 years.
Kelly is training for the Walt Disney World Marathon and created a list of why she runs so she can be ready to answer the question as friends and coworkers ask her. Check out her list. My favorite is "transends through the rest of my life..."