Up for another experiment? Let's try "running teams"
We have watched Lounge Groups grow over the last year or so and enjoy watching runners connect over similar interests, races or other goals. We also heard from many of you looking to connect with other runners for some virtual support over common goals of getting started, running a half marathon, a marathon, or even Boston. You told us you were looking to build/share training resources (like plans, tips, etc) as well as learn from and support each other. We think the Lounge can help!
So here is the idea:
- Create "running teams" around four of the most common goals: Getting Started, Half Marathons, Marathons, Boston (and beyond).
- These teams of 4-10 people (to start) will help support and guide other Loungers with similar goals. They can do it through many ways, but here are some of the ideas we came up with:
- Weekly or biweekly podcasts - the whole team or a smaller subset of the team can gather by phone on a regular basis via Talk Shoe and create podcasts around their teams topic. The only equipment you need is your running knowledge, your voice and a phone. Runners' Lounge will make sure it gets published on iTunes and in the Lounge.
- Weekly or biweekly videocasts - anyone on the team can grab their video camera or even their phone and do a quick 2-3 minute video tip on their teams topic and publish them on the Runners' Lounge YouTube account or on their own and post a link in the Lounge.
- Weekly articles - anyone on the team or a small subset working together can create articles on their teams topics. Or, the team can look through their own blogs or favorite blogs in their reader and find relevent article on the topic and post them in the Lounge.
- Ongoing conversations - Using the Lounge Groups and fourms, share goals, training, progress, and setbacks towards your goals.
- Twitter Tips - the team can share training tips via the Runners_Lounge twitter account
Sound interesting? Useful? Other ideas?
If you have an interest in leading one of these teams or being part of a team, please drop us a note in the forum.
If there is interest, we will plan on kicking off the Getting Started and Half Marathon Teams in mid February and the Marathon and Boston and beyond groups in March.
And if we move forward with this experiement, we will also need a name for these "teams" - so put your creative thinking caps on.